Social Media Facts Every Marketer Should Know
As social media marketing is continuously evolving, the way people are using social media is constantly changing. If you’re a social media manager for your business, it’s important to know key statistics such:
where does your target audience spend most of their time online?;
how much time are they spending on these platforms?;
and what social media marketing trends can we expect to see this year?
We’ve put together the latest social media marketing statistics of 2014. Let’s start by looking at the who and where of social media users:
- 72% of all internet users are now active on social media.
- 18-29 year olds have an 89% usage.
- The 30-49 bracket sits at 72%.
- 60 percent of 50 to 60 year olds are active on social media.
- In the 65 plus bracket, 43% are using social media.
- Time spent on Facebook per hour spent online by country. Here are the top three. USA citizens get the top gong at 16% followed by the Aussies at 14 minutes and the Brits at 13 minutes.
- 71% of users access social media from a mobile device.
- 1.28 billion monthly active Facebook users – a 15% increase year over year.
- 802 million login to Facebook daily – a 21% increase year over year.
- 1.01 billion mobile active users – a 34% increase year over year.
- 66% of 15 – 34 year olds use Facebook.
- 45% of Internet users 65 years and older use Facebook.
- 114 billion minutes spent on Facebook a month in the U.S. alone on desktop PCs and smartphones.
- Average time spent per Facebook visit is 20 minutes.
42% of marketers report that Facebook is critical or important to their business. (Source: State of Inbound Marketing 2012. Does Facebook play a big role in your social media marketing strategy?
- 1 billion registered Twitter users; however 44% have never sent a tweet
- 255 million monthly active users.
- 500 million Tweets are sent per day.
- 78% of Twitter active users are on mobile.
- On average, users spend 170 minutes per month on Twitter.
- 45% between ages 18 – 29 years old.
- 29% of users check Twitter multiple times a day.
Facebook is still the pack leader when it comes to monthly active users.
- Google+ has 1.6 billion total users.
- 540 million monthly active users.
- Users spend an average of 7 minutes per month on Google+.
- 70% of brands have a presence on Google+.
- 53% of interaction between Google+ user and a brand is positive.
If you’re not on Google+, now is the time to create a Google+ page for your business! Google+ is expected to surpass Facebook in social shares by 2016, according to a study by SearchMetrics.
- 70 million total users (and counting!)
- 40 million monthly active users.
- 80% of Pinterest users are female –why do you think this is?
- 84% of women and 50% of men stay active on Pinterest.
- 92% of Pinterest pins are done by women.
- 23% of Pinterest users use it at least once in a day.
Although Facebook and Twitter represent roughly 75% of all content sharing, Pinterest is considered the fastest growing platform for online content sharing.
- 200 million monthly active users.
- 23% of teens consider Instagram as their favourite social network.
- 13% of Internet users use Instagram.
- Instagram’s mobile app usage has grown by 25% from December 2013 to May 2014.
Surprisingly, Instagram grew its user base to 150 million monthly active users in half the time that it took Twitter and in two years less than Facebook, according to research by the think-tank L2 Intelligence.
Do you think Instagram will continue on this impressive growth path in 2014?
Did you know we help business owners drive business results through effective social media marketing strategies? Contact us today to find out how we can help you stand out from the crowd.